Wednesday, March 23, 2011

KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING powerful gifts

Health expert I am not.  But through
  •         Listening (to God, Self and others)
  •         Asking Questions(Dr and experts)
  •         Reading (starting with the bible, then on to the internet, pamphlets and food labels)
  •        Testing  (learning from the failure too)
I am becoming an expert on me!!!

I have been a diabetic since 1988, and routine is important for me to manage it well
  •          7+ blood glucose tests a day (on a good day, week)
  •          Insulin shots with each meal and at bedtime
  •      Keeping a food journal (I use www.sparkpeople.com)
  •          Seeing my doctor regularly (I am getting better at this)
  •          Prescriptions in presorted pill boxes (AM and PM)by my bathroom sink
  •          Exercising 3-4 times a week (not as routine with cold/flu season hitting me and my household hard)
I have been weight challenged all my life.  But following the routine above along with removing my new dietary speed bumps, gluten and casein intolerant, I have shed 12+ lbs since Dec 2010.

Awareness to my food intolerance started with a very public embarrassing moment I wish not to relive in print.  I am thankful to those who came to my aid.   I didn’t fully listen to my body’s signals till Thanksgiving 2010, when IBS symptoms were occurring often.  My doctor performed a blood test to rule out Celiac Disease (neg).  By process of elimination (trial and error) we came to the conclusion that I am gluten and casein sensitive.

Although challenging, I am finding new ways to adapt and eat well with these speed bumps.  Remember what works for me may not work for you…but lets enjoy the journey together.

No comments:

Post a Comment