Wednesday, April 6, 2011

THE CHURCH POTLUCK

I attend the wonderful Peoples Church in Vancouver WA.  IT is HEN PARTY for the ladies only tonight.....CLUCK CLUCK!!!  We were all asked to bring a plate of either chicken salad, egg salad triangular cut tea sandwiches or a bag of chips......(this is not a meal rather a snack....I will make sure to get all my fruits and veggies in earlier in the day)...

Yesterday I read another blog that had a recipe for Socca Bread and wondered if I could use like a tortilla or wrap and be a little creative with the GlutenFree bread in sharing with the ladies...  I read more blogs on Socca Bread recipes to get ideas to work with the equipment and ingredients I already had on hand.  So the experiment began last night.  First try out it turned out fabulous here is what I did.

Most recipes I read were cooked in the oven in cast iron frying pans....I have yet to acquire one.  One recipe cooked stove top yet again in cast iron.  I decided to experiment on my pizza stone.

So I preheated my oven and stone to 425 degrees F.

2 cups Bob's Red Mill All purpose flour (garbanzo bean based)
1/2 tsp salt
2 sun-dried tomatoes finely chopped
3 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
3 TBSP Olive Oil
2 cups water

Place flour and salt in small bowl, mix.
In another bowl, whisk together tomatoes, basil, olive oil, water.  Add flour 1/2 cup at a time, whisking between additions.  A very thin pancake batter is what you have created.

Open oven and pull out rack with stone upon it....brush stone lightly with additional olive oil.  Pour 1/3 cup of batter in center of stone, spreading to a thin 6" circle. Cook approximately 2 minutes, open oven and flip Socco...bake additional  2 minutes for soft bread...for crispier bread cook each side additional 2 minutes.

Made 12 - 6" Socco disks.
This morning I spread a simple egg salad added some romaine lettuce.  Folded in half and Cut into two...WAALAA pie shaped tasty triangles.




I will keep experimenting...perhaps with flax seed and other flavors.  I have a brunch I am hosting soon, I larger version these should work for the breakfast burritos.

No comments:

Post a Comment